June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Monday 27 November 2017

Looking back and planting tulips

The past summer has been one of the best growing seasons since I began my garden with a great balance of sun and rain. Since I did a massive cut-back of climbers, most particularly my Kiftsgate rose (which had become very badly mildewed with attendant black spot) the grass has even grown quite well.
I grew my first ever courgettes with comparative success, a massive crop of climbing French beans var.Cosse Violette planted both in and outside the greenhouse and a very passable crop of cherry tomatoes from just 2 plants in a growbag, also in the greenhouse - all of which ripened. I had forgotten how much better they taste than the shop-bought ones!
The dahlias also performed well providing flowers for the house beyond the end of October. I picked this bunch on October 21st! Those I had left in the ground did nearly as well as the greenhouse-raised plants although some were slower to get going. I was pleased with my colour selection this year but my attention to plant-positioning left room for improvement. I need labels with pictures!
I totally missed any gardening last sunny weekend but did manage a very soggy, muddy day's cutting back and tidying during the week, lifting most of the dahlias and replacing them with tulips from Parker's as per pictures attached. In a rush to beat the weather and catch the light they went in rather randomly so the results should be interesting again!

No comments:

Post a Comment